Easiest way to accomplish this:
Create a new dimension family with super-small text. Tip: Even though this text isn't visible at priting, you can still 'grab' it and use it's leader line to maintain that beautiful Revit look!
1. Select current dimension line
2. Go into element properties
3. Hit the Edit/New Button
4. Duplicate the current dimension style
5. Rename - something like 'no text' in type name should do just fine
6. Change text size to 1/256" and text offset to 1/256"
7. Hit OK a couple of times
Your text should now be super-small and you can manually place the text over the dimension line. 2009 has better dimensioning- as well as an option to let you overide the text (so long as it is not in dimension format).
There are also some good related links below (such as the blank text method).
I would also recommend adding this to your template if you don't anticipate upgrading to 2009 any time soon.
Edited on: Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:47:20 PM